Ebola: Symptoms, treatment, and causes



flu like symptoms after exercise :: Article Creator

I Get Colds And Flu Non-stop, What Can I Eat Or Drink To Boost My Immunity? Dr Zoe Answers Health Questions

SPRING brings warnings about various health threats, including tick bites.

While in most cases they are harmless, around one in ten of the mites may carry Lyme disease.

Dr Zoe Williams helps a reader who keeps getting colds and the flu

1

Dr Zoe Williams helps a reader who keeps getting colds and the flu

In humans, this can cause long-term symptoms, including pain and swelling in joints, difficulty concentrating and problems with nerves, memory and the heart.

See a GP if you have been bitten by a tick and you develop flu-like symptoms and a rash between three and 30 days later.

The rash is circular around the bite, often looking like a bull's-eye.

Ticks are found mainly in wooded areas, and can bury themselves under the skin.

To remove one safely, use a tick-removal tool found in pharmacies, or tweezers.

Grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible and slowly pull upwards without applying pressure to the mite itself, as squeezing can release germs.

If some of the tick remains embedded, leave it to fall out naturally.

It's best to remove them quickly to prevent disease.

Most read in Health I was healthy teen but ended up in wheelchair after taking antibiotics

'HORRIFICALLY HARD'

I was healthy teen but ended up in wheelchair after taking antibiotics 'Pandemic proof' vaccine could beat coronaviruses we don't know about yet

SECRET WEAPON

'Pandemic proof' vaccine could beat coronaviruses we don't know about yet Man escapes death after iron rod shoots through groin & into chest after fall

HUMAN SKEWER

Man escapes death after iron rod shoots through groin & into chest after fall 'Super fit' beauty queen who suffered 6 heart attacks shares hidden symptoms

FACING DEATH

'Super fit' beauty queen who suffered 6 heart attacks shares hidden symptoms

Here's a selection of what readers asked this week.

After 3 kids we wanted one more to complete our family - an 'ectopic pregnancy' turned out to be QUADRUPLETS CAN'T GET RID OF COLDS

Q) WHY do I keep getting colds and flu non-stop? Are there foods or even drinks that would boost my immunity?

I'm in my 40s, a non-smoker and I don't have other medical conditions.

A) It's considered normal for adults to have up to four upper respiratory viral infections each year (for children it's up to 12), so if you're suffering more, it's important to get checked by your GP.

Undiagnosed illnesses including lung disease, structural abnormalities of the airways, exposure to second-hand smoke and allergens can make you more susceptible.

Medical conditions can also affect the functioning of the immune system, so your GP will likely do blood tests.

Assuming you get the all-clear, it's worth looking at your diet overall, rather than identifying specific foods that have immune system-supporting benefits.

That's because you need a wide variety of nutrients (eg. Vitamin C, vitamin D, zinc, selenium, iron) and the best way to get that is to eat a very healthy and varied diet.

Did you know that fruit and veg of different colours tend to have different nutrients? That's why it is advised to "eat the rainbow".

Red tomatoes have lots of lycopene, orange carrots are rich in beta-carotene, green broccoli has sulforaphane and purple cabbage has antioxidants called anthocyanins.

Protein, such as lean poultry, fish, eggs, beans and lentils, is important for a healthy immune system, too.

You want to limit ultra-processed foods (those that have five or more ingredients on the packet).

Add berries, leafy greens like spinach, oily fish such as mackerel, salmon and sardines, nuts and seeds to your trolley.

You can buy packets of mixed seeds in the supermarket, which are easy to sprinkle on meals.

Our immune systems aren't just fuelled by food, though. They are affected by many aspects of our health and lifestyle.

If you're under stress, try breathing techniques, mindfulness and exercise.

GPs are prescribing time in nature for its plentiful health benefits so give it a go if you're mostly indoors and inactive.

If you drink alcohol, cut down for a few weeks and see if you feel the benefit.

Poor sleep and anxiety also affects our immune system so try and get plenty of rest.

If you spend a few weeks dedicating yourself to being the healthiest version of yourself, you should feel the benefits.

Q) I FIND walking uphill a struggle but do not experience any pain. An ECG and CT scan came back fine.

The cardiac nurse asked if I wanted to go for research at the hospital but I couldn't see any reason as I am not climbing hills every day, so we left it at that.

I am 65 years old, female, a non-smoker and in good health.

Could I have microvascular angina?

And do I need to declare it on my travel insurance if it's not been confirmed?

A) It is important to inform travel insurance companies of all pre-existing health conditions.

But it sounds to me as though no diagnosis of angina has been made.

If the tests were normal, and you're feeling well, likely you don't need to inform them.

However, I do not have the full details of your case, so my best advice is, if in doubt, give them a call and let them know so they can decide and reassure you.

Thank you for raising the topic of microvascular angina – there is a lack of awareness of this condition, even by many medics.

It's a condition which tends to affect more women than men, where the tiny arteries in the heart muscle become narrow or spasm – rather than the larger coronary arteries in typical angina.

Chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, heartburn-like discomfort, and arm ache can all be potential symptoms.

Often they will come on when exerting yourself, but can also happen at rest.

If any women out there are experiencing this, it's important to get it checked out and don't be afraid to mention microvascular angina to your doctor or nurse.

One of the major setbacks is that an angiogram – the test used to diagnose angina – is not very good at seeing these tiny blood vessels, so sometimes it remains undiagnosed and women are dismissed.

Heart disease is one of the biggest killers of women.

Each year, more than twice as many females die of heart disease than breast cancer, so best keep this at the back of our minds.

It is possible that your struggle with walking uphill is caused by microvascular angina, or it could be that you are less fit than you used to be.

If in doubt, I advise returning to the GP for a follow-up chat now that you have completed initial investigations at the cardiology clinic.

Tip of the week

ARE you a late-night snacker?

If you find it hard to cut the habit, try a peppermint or berry tea instead.

It is comforting and distracts the brain from cravings.

Journaling can help reduce stress, if you consider yourself an emotional eater.

Fears over dizzy spells

Q) I'VE recently had three episodes of feeling dizzy, sick and faint, always in the evening or at night.

The first time I did pass out, although the second and third times I managed not to.

During the daytime, I sometimes feel like the floor is moving away from me or I'm floating.

Could these symptoms be related? Could it be linked to anxiety or panic?

There doesn't seem to be a trigger or pattern. I am 29.

A) Three times or more of anything new and unusual warrants further investigation.

To go from not fainting at all to it almost happening a few times suggests to me you need to be checked out by a GP or nurse practitioner to find out a bit more and see if tests are required.

Fainting and dizziness can be because of pregnancy so if you could be pregnant, take a test to see.

It can also be caused by low blood pressure.

Many GP surgeries and pharmacies have blood pressure machines you could use for a few days or buy your own if you wish.

Fainting can be a sign of a heart condition too and seizures can sometimes be mistaken as fainting, so it's important to not ignore it.

It's rare for panic attacks to cause fainting but it's not unheard of.

But it sounds as though your instinct is telling you that it's not anxiety or panic-related.

SUMMER is just around the corner, and if you are looking to shape up before a holiday, buy a home workout kit.

For a fraction of the price of a gym membership, you can get your heart rate up with cardio-based exercise, or tone the muscles with a resistance band set.

THREE OF THE BEST… HOME WORKOUT KIT

DOMYOS 500 Foam skipping rope , £7.99, Decathlon: Sales of skipping ropes boomed in the lockdowns and the weight-loss transformations spoke for themselves.

This form of cardio is an all-round body workout. It just takes some patience to start with.

The rope has foam handles for comfort and can be used on indoor floors, too. The length can be adjusted for height.

Gritin resistance bands, set of five, £9.99, Amazon: Small and compact but with a lot of possibilities, these resistance bands can be used to train any part of the body.

There are five levels of resistance, from light to XX-heavy.

Check YouTube for resistance-band workouts. You will definitely get a muscle burn.

OPTI 20kg adjustable barbell set, £40, Argos: To build a stronger body, weights are essential.

Dumbbell sets are easy to get hold of.

But this barbell set allows for exercises such as chest press, overhead press and squats as well as lunges with a bar on the back, with weight of up to 20kg.

The price is just a fraction of other brands.


Dealing With Viral Fever Infections: Here Are Tips To Manage And Prevent Seasonal Flu

Viral fever infections, especially seasonal flu, can be a major health problem as they can cause discomfort, disruptions, and even severe complications. As viruses like influenza tend to spread widely during certain times of the year, it's important to understand how to manage the symptoms and prevent transmission to stay healthy and reduce the impact of these infections. In this article, we list some practical tips on how to manage and prevent seasonal flu infections.

What Is Seasonal Flu

seasonal-flu

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), flu, also known as seasonal influenza, is a short-term respiratory illness triggered by influenza viruses. It is widespread across the globe, affecting people in various regions. Typically, individuals recuperate from the flu without requiring medical intervention.

Symptoms of flu include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, fatigue, and sometimes vomiting and diarrhoea. While most people recover from flu without complications, it can lead to serious illness, hospitalisation, and even death, especially among high-risk groups, such as young children, elderly individuals, pregnant women, and those with underlying health conditions.

Also Read: Desi Ghee For Seasonal Flu: Here Are 5 Smart Ways To Use Ghee For Cold, Cough, And Fever

Tips to Manage Viral Fever Infections

rest

Rest and Hydration

You should ensure that you get plenty of rest to help your body fight off the infection. Drink fluids such as water, herbal teas, and clear broth to stay hydrated and soothe a sore throat.

Fever Management

Over-the-counter medications can help reduce fever and alleviate body aches. Make sure to carefully follow dosage instructions and consult a healthcare professional if you have concerns.

Symptom Relief

Use over-the-counter remedies to relieve symptoms, such as cough, congestion, and sore throat. Nasal saline sprays or saline nasal rinses can help clear nasal passages and ease congestion.

Avoiding Spreading the Infection

Don't forget to cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your elbow when coughing or sneezing to prevent the spread of germs. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water, especially after coughing, sneezing, or touching potentially contaminated surfaces.

Also Read: Throat Pain: How To Know If It's Viral Or A Bacterial Infection?

Tips for Preventing Seasonal Flu Get Vaccinated

The annual flu vaccine is the most effective way to prevent seasonal flu and its complications. It's recommended for everyone aged six months and older, with rare exceptions.

Practice Good Hand Hygiene

You should wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after coughing, sneezing, using the restroom, or touching potentially contaminated surfaces. According to Harvard Health Publishing, apply soap or cleanser generously, ensuring coverage on the palms, backs of hands, and wrists. Cleanse thoroughly, paying attention to fingertips, areas under nails, and spaces between fingers. Rinse hands and wrists under running water, then dry them completely. 

Avoid Close Contact

You should try to keep your distance from people who are ill and exhibiting flu-like symptoms. Also, if you are sick, stay home from work, school, and social gatherings to prevent spreading the infection to others.

Keep Surfaces Clean

Apart from this, it is also important to regularly clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects, such as doorknobs, light switches, countertops, and electronic devices.

Boost Your Immune System

It is important to maintain a well-balanced diet, exercise frequently, control your stress, and get enough sleep to maintain a healthy lifestyle. These habits can help support your immune system and reduce your risk of infections.

[Disclaimer: This article contains information provided by an expert and is for informational purposes only. Hence, we advise you to consult your expert if you experience severe symptoms, such as difficulty breathing, persistent chest pain, confusion, or sudden dizziness.]

Disclaimer

All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.Com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers' discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.


My 'Flu' Symptoms Turned Out To Be Early Signs Of A Stroke

Mary Peterson, 33, had a stroke last year. The symptoms came out of nowhere—ringing in her ears, convulsions, and loss of feeling on the right side of her body. At the emergency room, she was diagnosed with a tear in a neck artery potentially caused by a mild car accident a few years before, which likely triggered the stroke. She's now detailing her experience on TikTok. Here's her story, as told to writer Julia Ries.

On December 11, 2023, I woke up with what felt like the flu. I went to work at my friend's vintage shop in Providence and just tried to make it through my shift as my fever kept getting worse.

After work, I was achy and had a mild headache. I took a bubble bath, and when I got out, I felt extremely overheated. I figured I took too hot of a bath and it made my fever spike. I got into bed to watch reels on TikTok around 9 p.M. I was lying on my right side when I got an intense ringing in my right ear. I flipped over to my other side—I thought maybe that would make it go away—but it persisted. My right arm and leg started convulsing, which lasted for a few minutes. Then my vision went out—I couldn't really see anything out of either eye. I quickly lost all feeling along the right side of my body.

I wanted to call a friend who could come over and help me, but I had just moved to Providence from Brooklyn, and I only knew a couple of people in the area. I tried to call 911 but was unable to—I couldn't see or use my right hand to dial. For whatever reason, I didn't even think about using my left hand. I ended up saying "call mom" to Siri. The phone rang and my mom, who lives in Northern California, picked up. I don't remember this, but she says she could barely make out what I was saying. Apparently, I was slurring, "Something happened, something happened." My mom was really freaked out—she knew I had been sick earlier in the day and could tell something was very off.

Coincidentally, about a week before, my dad asked for Dana's phone number just in case of an emergency. My parents got a hold of her and she immediately came over to my apartment. I couldn't walk or stand up because the right side of my body was completely numb, but I was able to crawl on my left side to the front door to let her in. She helped walk me to her car and drove me to the emergency room.

At the ER, I had my vitals taken, which were normal. The nurses pressed on my hands and legs to see which limbs were giving me trouble. I was transported to another part of the hospital, where I was given an IV. (I don't remember of what, or how long it was administered.)

As I sat with Dana, waiting to be seen, my brain was playing a slideshow of my life—old, happy memories cycled through my mind. It was like I was watching myself from above. (I was so out of it.) At the same time, I was really worried about my face looking different—I didn't have any drooping, but my mouth was completely numb. I thought maybe I'd had a seizure from having a really high fever and started to worry I might die. Stroke was not on my mind at all.

I had an EKG and did X-rays and a bunch of blood work. The nurses told me I needed to get an MRI of my head and neck, but I had to wait until the machine was available. I was given anti-anxiety medications to help me relax, since I was pretty freaked out at this point, and I told Dana she could leave since it was the middle of the night. A little later, I got the MRI—the only thing I remember is being asked if I wanted to listen to music during the procedure (I requested Taylor Swift)—and after I was taken to my own room.

While all this was happening, I still felt so sick—I had a bad fever and the chills. My headache was also getting worse. I hadn't regained feeling in the right side of my body, but it was slightly improving. My face was still numb and I couldn't use my hand, but by leaning on the wall I could put pressure on my right leg and walk to the bathroom.

After I woke up from napping for a few hours, I got super upset—I'd started to come to and realize what happened. It also concerned me that I had been at the ER for so long, and no one had told me anything about what was wrong. I called my friend Ashley, who lives in New York City, and told her what I experienced. I got really emotional, and felt so scared and alone. She hopped in her car and started driving up to Providence to be with me.

Around 10 a.M. A new doctor came in. I called my mom to listen in because I knew I wouldn't be able to remember everything. He reviewed my test results and said he consulted with the overnight doctors, who wanted to send me home. To them, all of my test results appeared relatively normal. They didn't know what happened, and since I was so young, they thought I'd most likely had a panic attack. But this new doctor said something wasn't adding up. He identified a small injury in the artery in my neck, along with a tiny abnormality in my brain in the MRI scans.

He asked if I'd recently experienced any head trauma. I told him was involved in a very minor car accident six months ago, and another one in 2018, when I was rear-ended in traffic. At the time, the nurse I was treated by believed I had whiplash and a mild concussion but that, overall, I was okay. Based on the imaging results and the two car accidents, my doctor suspected I had a vertebral artery dissection (VAD) in the back of my neck—basically, an artery in the back of my neck had a tear—and that caused a blood clot that traveled to my brain and caused a stroke. VAD is one of the main causes of strokes in younger people—especially athletes who are more prone to injuring their head or neck. He gave me low-dose aspirin and told me to take that daily until a follow-up appointment with a neurologist in six weeks. That felt like a really long time to me, but it's standard protocol for monitoring stroke survivors.

I was discharged, and Ashley arrived about an hour later. I'm glad she did, because the next few weeks were rough. A few days after I got home, I tried to make coffee and spilled everything and broke a bunch of glasses. I was so upset: I was accustomed to living independently and found it so difficult to accept help. I definitely pushed myself too hard too soon. My headache was so intense I could barely sit up, and my vision was pretty blurry in my right eye. I was also still sick from whatever flu-like symptoms I had, which, according to the doctors, had nothing to do with the stroke. I was exhausted and felt like, no matter what, I could not get enough sleep. And I didn't have full feeling back in the right side of my body. I began to feel really depressed—and terrified. There was so much I didn't understand about what happened.

I spent three weeks not working, resting, and trying to function again. I went back to my regular job as a server at a restaurant after that, which was sooner than I should have. But I didn't have a choice: I didn't have any money or anything to fall back on.

I had my first follow-up appointment in February of 2024. I brought a list of questions, because I'd tried to Google information about having a stroke in my 30s but couldn't find very much information. What I did find was horrifying: I read somewhere that I had a high risk of dying within five years. I wanted to know what I could and couldn't do, and if the feeling would ever come back in my hand and foot. My neurologist told me that if the feeling didn't come back in six months, it probably never would. I learned that, to prevent this from happening again, I need to avoid any trauma or hyperextension to the neck, since that's what caused the blood clot to travel to my brain. I had another MRI on March 28 that confirmed that I had a stroke. The brain MRI looked good, but I'll need to continue getting neck MRIs to monitor the tear in my artery.

To this day, the right side of my body still feels off—it's like I have pins and needles in my face, arm, and leg all the time. I get tired really easily and have trouble remembering things. I often forget words that I'm sure I know, and I have to write everything down so I don't forget. There are random things I can't do—I can't ski or paint a ceiling, because it might mess with my neck. It's hard to pick things up off the floor. Little tasks feel incredibly frustrating. I now work full-time in social media management, but I can't use a computer for eight hours straight because my hand hurts so badly. I try to take a handful of little breaks to cope with the pain. I'm terrified this could happen again—I'm constantly thinking about not moving my body in a way that might trigger another stroke.

The one gift of this experience is that it completely shifted my perspective. Before my stroke, I let work stress me out so much. I constantly worried about going above and beyond to do the best possible job I could. Now, I care less about hustling and grinding—which I physically can no longer do, anyway—and more about making enough money to live so I can spend time with the people I love. I try to be fully present in my life so I can enjoy it. The emails can wait.

Related:

Originally Appeared on SELF

View comments






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Russian lab containing smallpox and Ebola exploded - Vox.com

Azar calls for transparency in Ebola-like death in Tanzania | TheHill - The Hill

Yellow fever